Solutions Environmental Management Co. (later shortened to SEMCO) was incorporated in 1995 to provide services to clients in western Virginia in the field of hazardous materials abatement, primarily emphasizing asbestos. Having operated successfully for several years in that field, SEMCO then expanded in two directions:
(1) We took on clients throughout Virginia, and
(2) We also expanded into the related field of interior and mechanical demolition projects.
SEMCO works as an independent contractor in both abatement projects and demolition projects, competing against other specialty contractors as well as against much larger general contractors to win work in those fields under direct contract to property owners. In addition, SEMCO is frequently the subcontractor of choice for general contractors needing a reliable sub in the specialized fields of selective demolition and hazardous materials abatement. These specialties, requiring specialized skills and experience, are considered high-risk by many general contractors, and they put a premium on SEMCO’s proven track record of successful completion on time, within budget, and in complete compliance with all State and Federal regulations and guidelines. For this reason, SEMCO frequently has the opportunity to bid on a “preferred contractor” basis.
Since expanding into the field of demolition, SEMCO has also taken on the role of prime contractor to specialized subs. In this relationship, owners and general contractors know that the quality of SEMCO management guarantees the performance of the subcontractors as well.
With over a quarter-century of professional experience, SEMCO has well-established “standard operating procedures” in our fields of work. SEMCO’s management and workers are all fully trained and certified in the various specialties of the company, and the firm is covered by all applicable insurances. Owners and general contractors dealing with SEMCO have no concerns about work standards or liability issues. In addition, over the years of its existence, SEMCO has built an enviable reputation for quality and timely work.
One of the key elements of our growth over the years has been our commitment to performing as promised. SEMCO clients know that they can count on us for standing by our word. Another key element has been our commitment to the quality of our work. Clients know that our project work will be done properly and done well.
The consequence of the above commitments is that SEMCO welcomes prospective new clients to check our references. It is for good reason that we have so many repeat clients.
SEMCO has an enviable record within our industry for keeping our clients pleased with the success of our services. That success record is based on several key components of our business discipline:
(1) Projects are understood from day one. Before we enter into a contract for any job--small or large--we ensure we have evaluated the requirements, the constraints, and the risks. From the smallest homeowner jobs to the largest multi-building University projects, we study every detail of the project to make sure we minimize surprises.
(2) Projects are planned from day one. When we embark upon a new project, we have a very detailed idea of what we have to do, and a plan for how we will do it. We minimize the types of "oh, by the way" divergences that throw plans into chaos.
(3) Projects are managed from day one. SEMCO believes (very strongly) that the overhead cost of management pays itself back in efficiency and effectiveness. Our field supervisors are attuned to the style of detail management that leaves little to chance, and the result is that our projects are generally completed on time, within budget, with very little deviation from what our project managers envisioned on day one.
(4) Emergent work is closely controlled. It is inevitable that some projects will require more or different tasks than were originally specified by the owner, the architect, or the general contractor. SEMCO attempts to minimize those instances by assessing the details of the project down to a micro-level before we contract for the work. But when they arise, SEMCO details the project additions and/or changes that must occur, and we always coordinate closely with our client to ensure that we are agreed on any change before we execute it.